ootd dress tshirt sunglasses street style

HOW I FIGHT DEPRESSION AND MANAGE TO LIVE MY LIFE

This post is for my dearest friend. I hope it will help you. I love you.

In the last couple of weeks, the subject of depression keeps coming back wherever I go. I am not a doctor, but I decided to take a stand.* Not to mention the most obvious, I wanna point one fact about it. Depression is one of the most common disabilities in the world.

ootd dress tshirt sunglasses street styleootd unglasses street styleootd sunglasses street stylestreet style ootd dress tshirt sunglasses

Most of the disabilities are treated with mental and physical therapies. For example, having sick legs, you sign up for rehabilitation. Having a learning disability, you sign up for support groups, courses and so on. Such an approach seems so obvious, at least in my European culture, that when someone fails to follow it, we educate them and push to get needed support.

What most recommended for other disabilities, does not apply to depression. The most common practice in dealing with depression is medication. And that is it.

This also happened when I was diagnosed. I was 13 at that time and only a few days before I tried to kill myself. To keep me alive I was prescribed a lot of pills. One for mood swings, one for sadness and one for focus (cos I still had to study.)

With time, I noticed that medication is not a clue to cure my disease. Every time I tried to live sober life, the same bad things happened over and over again.

Paradoxically as it sounds, after multiple attempts to finish my life, I still had the will to fight for it. But as I was taught to take a pill to kill my mood swings, without medication I struggled to keep my shit together.

And what would happen when instead of getting drugged I learn how to act when the mood drastically goes down? I though at some point. This is how a breakthrough in my treatment happened.

ootd dress tshirt sunglasses street stylestreet style ootd dress tshirt street style

These few points are a result of many tries and many failures, Β but in short they describe my routine in facing my disease.

1. ACT UPON.
    I listen to my body and act upon any symptoms of depression. For me, these are anxiety, sleepless nights and so on. When I notice any of them, I do whatever it takes, to keep a positive attitude for life. For example, I will exercise more to produce more hormone of happiness, serotonin.
  2. DO NOT STRESS ABOUT NOT IMPORTANT MATTERS.
    I have a to do list for each day. If I feel down, I will follow up only on important tasks that cannot wait for next day.Adding more activities, add more stress to my day, so I will exclude as much of this stress as I can.
  3. BOOSTING CONFIDENCE BY REALIZING HOW MUCH I ACHIEVE.
    When I am down, I will add to my to-do list all the things I do in a day. It looks like this: 1. stand up from the bed, 2. eat breakfast, 3. take a shower and so on. The idea of completing even one of those, makes me feel like a queen of the world. Yeah, I am down, but I still manage to brush my teeth. Those clean teeth are an ultimate prove, that I rock this day!

ootd dress tshirt sunglassesootd dress tshirt sunglasses street styleootd dress tshirt sunglasses street style

Thanks to these few steps, I manage to live my life without any medication at all for more than 7 years now.** These sounds super easy, but when the devil comes, they may be challenging. So when I fail to brush my hair for whole day, I do not stigmatize myself, but let it be. As I see it, in self acceptance is a key to happiness.

Hopefully, it will help whoever need help.

If you need to talk, do not hesitate to write me at [email protected], I will do my best to support you wherever you are.

Stay awesome guys!
Anja

*I am not a professional psychiatrist This post is based on experience I gained in fighting depression for last 20 years.

**Before stopping your medication, please speak with your doctor. Correctly stopped medication and preparation for the sober world is a key.

STARRING: super old dress from BERSHKA, espadrilles from PULL & BEAR, sunnies from H&M, earrings from IAM

ootd dress tshirt sunglassesootd dress tshirt sunglassesootd dress tshirt sunglasses street styleDSC_0634-001.JPG

60 comments / Add your comment below

1. nailaalexi says:

I was depressed for most of my teen years and now I’m in my early twenties. I was able to get past my depression .
    I remember, everyday was a struggle, trying to find reasons to keep going…. But you are doing a great job at kicking depression in the butt. So keep going

2. blogoratti says:

Great thoughts and perspective, in the end we need to take better care of ourselves, mind, body and spirit. When we feel we can’t we should seek the help of those who can. Greetings and thanks for sharing.

1. Anja says: Author

Totally agree, taking care of yourself is the most important thing in our lives. Thank you for reading and commenting πŸ™‚

1. Anja says: Author

Hopefully they will. Thank you Margot, it a very old dress, but still looks classy πŸ˜€ Thank you for stopping by, have a lovely day! <3

3. Alice says:

You are really brave girl and I keep fingers for you. I will share this post with my cusin, she is suffering od depression too and she is acting less strong then you…

1. Anja says: Author

Thank you, you are very kind. I hope that post will help your cousin. Wish you both all the best <3

4. mutzii says:

fortunately for me i didn’t have that suicidal thoughts or the depression itself when i was a teenager. my depression however started when i reached adulthood and most especially when i moved to a totally different country. in my opinion, the secret recipe to fighting off depression is self-appreciation and contentment. and that’s what im trying to do. happy that youre doing good now!

p.s.

I love the dress.

x
    mutzii β€’ http://www.theshoenazi.com

1. Anja says: Author

Couldn’t agree more. Self appreciation is very important. I hope you are doing well these days and thanks for positive comment on the dress. It my one favorites for summer <3

5. Oh I am so sorry you have had such struggles. I do know the feeling and can appreciate how hard it is to live that way. That’s great that you’ve learned some lessons that help you now, and I’m sure they’ll help others to read this.

On a lighter note, I love this outfit of the gray T-shirt dress and the peachy espadrilles. It looks like something that would be a uniform of mine and I would want to wear every day .

1. Anja says: Author

Thank you for support, yes, lucily I am doing not bad these days. And thank you for positive note on the outfit. These peachy espadrilles are my go to shoes this summer πŸ™‚

6. Lana_SHON says:

This post is the best blog post I have ever read. I personally do not suffer depression but in my friend’s surrounding I have a lot people how suffers from it. You are right the main medication nowadays are drugs but they help not really and not forever. Because of that I find your personal experience the best example how to fight depression without drugs.
    I admire you and your will to fight. You are really a very strong personality!

1. Anja says: Author

Thank you for your words. I do not usually perceive myself as a strong personality and reading it made my day. πŸ™‚ Have a good Thursday! <3

7. Ioanna says:

Such a great and helpful post. I’m proud of you, you are so strong! I didn’t have depression but I have a very bad anxiety problem and some days I feel terrible. Keep fighting girl because life is good!

1. Anja says: Author

Thank you, Ioanna. I am very sorry to hear about your issues and I wish you all the strength you need to overcome it. All the best and keep fighting! <3

8. This was a beautiful post Anja, I’ve struggled with depression since I was 16, I am now getting help for it, but it took 10 years for me to get the proper help, as of today I am medicated, and I wonder all the time how will I deal with once I’m not medicated, cause that’s something I am hyper-aware of, I can’t be on my meds forever. Thank you so much for sharing this, and keep it up girl! I’m proud of you! <3

1. Anja says: Author

I am sorry to hear about all these years you didn’t have a proper support, but I am happy it changed. Don’t worry about dropping the medication, once you are ready to do it you will feel it. Thank you for your words and I wish you all the best. <3

9. Bishan says:

This is wonderful post! thanks for writing Anje! I agree wholeheartedly that we can look at mental distress, illness and disease (which is a spectrum which I believe affects as all – no matter what gender, race, religion, or occupation) in a more helpful way. I like your tips. My tip that I have used with myself through dark times, is that when all things crumble, its a reminder to come back to the only thing that is important in this world – “LOVE”, whatever this may mean for you at the time. For me nature is a great reminder πŸ™‚ Keep up your passion and creativity – it’s wonderful to read !

1. Anja says: Author

Thank you, Bishan, for this advice. You are so right, love is one of the key ingredients of going through difficult times. And I like the referral to nature. Not always I am a social animal, so finding peace in nature is a perfect alternative when I cannot be around others. Wishing you all the best, have a lovely day! <3

10. Aw, yeah it has been so long since we visited each others’ blogs!! I’m sorry you’ve been through so much since we last spoke, but I hope you are doing better! I think we all go through some level of depression, but I feel like the support around you as well can really keep you going πŸ™‚

1. Anja says: Author

Couldn’t agree more. Support is what helps to overcome dark times. Thanks for visiting, Samantha, glad to hear from you πŸ™‚ Have a lovely day!

11. Vesna says:

Everyone have a bad phase at some point in life… I had my share few times and now I`m great… Most important is to have constant support and love!
    Have a great day! xoxo
    Vesna – Home Chic Club

1. Anja says: Author

You are right we all experience difficult moments at times. I am glad to know you are good now πŸ™‚ Thanks for your lovely comment.

1. Anja says: Author

This is a very good idea. I am trying to learn it, and do on a more regular basis πŸ™‚ Thank you for your visit!

12. alimackin2013 says:

What an inspiring post, I am glad you found a way to manage your depression. Depression runs in my family. My nephew tried to take his life kind of, he is doing bette now. My grandmother had depression and I suffer with it too, with me is a combination of it being physical from hormones and having a lot to trauma and hardship in my life though never too medication. i was and a functioning depressive. Though I did try St Johns Wort and it did help. But always wear sunglasses out doors as it makes you photo sensitive. Now I am pretty cataracs.

Allie of ALLIENYC

1. Anja says: Author

Sorry to hear about troubles in your family and about your problems. Never heard of St Johns Wort, will have to google it. I wish you all the best, Allie, and I hope you find your way out of lethargy. Thank you for sharing these experiences, it means a lot you trusted me to do it. Sending you lots of love and positive energy <3

13. 3C Style says:

It takes a lot of strength to do what you accomplished Anja and you are right to be proud of yourself. It also takes courage for sharing your personal experience. Big thumps up. Love y’a wonderful woman.

14. please think says:

Hi,

I have read your post and please think about your actions before you write posts like this. I understand that you had a hard time and that you made it this way but I personally know of a case that tried the same as you and it ended up in the worst possible way. Let’s say that person can not comment anymore. Glad you have the disclaimers written but those only serve to protect you. Please do not motivate people to get off the medication so easily. When you write something like this thing of the possible negative effect on a person. Do you want to have that responsibility? hope you understand.

1. Anja says: Author

Hi, thanks for reading. I am sorry to hear about your friend. I do agree, each case is different, that is why I made it clear that this is a story of my own journey and fight with depression. Whomever fight with depression should visit a doctor. Disclaimers are state the facts, that this is my personal experience and that I do not advise dechallenging medication without consultation with your doctor.

15. 3C Style says:

Anja, I have been trying to reply to two of your comments through my blog and it’s not working. It’s working well with every body else. So I don’t know what’s the problem. I came directly to your site to give you the message. Just wanted you to know in case it does the same with other followers. Keep in touch. -Dominique

1. Anja says: Author

Hm, I will have to check settings on my wordpress… I don’t know what may cause it. I will ask others if, they also cannot reply to me. Thanks for letting me know.

16. Melina says:

WOW thanks for sharing your story here. And you can be so proud to manage everything without taking pills every day. I think this is definitely the right way.

I dont have depressions, but I have constant bladder infections since 4 years and its driving me SO crazy. There are days where I dont see hope anymore that it will get better one day, so I kinda know how it feels so be sad and desperate quite often.

I think the most important thing is to be grateful and positive every day, but I also know that sometimes there are days where you cant act like this and just want to stay in bed all day and dont talk to anyone. I had exactly one of those days yesterday and hope that today will be a better one!

Lots of Love
    xx
    Melina

1. Anja says: Author

I am so sorry to hear about your bladder disease. I also have some problems with it, but not as severe as ones you describe. Oh, girl, sending you a lot of good vibes, hoping you manage to cure it, cos I know that it is a real pain what you experience. Thank you so much for reading and your nice words. It means a lot <3